Mirada to Expand Online Presence Next Year

John Ferrannini, Editor-in-Chief

The Mirada is planning to expand its online presence in the 2013-2014 with a new multimedia class and multiple staff roles exclusively devoted to online reporting and editing and audio visual storytelling.

Mirada adviser Michael Mahoney hopes that Rio will offer a new Journalism class on campus that focuses on more regularly updating the Mirada web site, www.riomirada.com, but which also teaches students about the new world of online journalism, blogging, and how old fashioned reporting can stay relevant, and even thrive, in a digital age.

“This is the direction journalism has been moving in,” Mahoney said. “We’ve had a web site for years, but we need to become more interactive, more integrated, and more involved in school life.”

English teacher Adam Bearson would teach this class.

He wants to use it to teach students the manifold skills they can learn from working on an online publication.

“I’m very excited to teach this,” Bearson said. “Part of the challenge of this class is rethinking the whole purpose of a newspaper as more and more people get their news online. The sky’s the limit when it comes to online journalism. We want to give students the opportunity to produce a news aggregate site that relates to Rio specifically.”

Current Web Editor senior David Egan believes having a new class is an excellent idea.

“I think it’s a great idea to create a class that puts together platforms that almost all high schoolers already use,” Egan said. “All the class is doing is organizing it.”

Sports Editor junior Ryan Burns, who will be an editor-in-chief of the print Mirada next year, is also excited about the opportunities presented by the expansion of the Mirada’s online presence.

“I think it’s going to be a great way to expand the newspaper to those who don’t receive the monthly copy,” Burns said. “It will also give people better periodical updates through video and other mediums.”

The Mirada currently updates its web site once a month concurrent to the release of the paper’s print edition. The web site often includes extra content and interesting stories that can’t fit in the sixteen page newspaper.

Coming out once a month, the Mirada’s print edition is an award winning nationally recognized publication and along with the Tesoro yearbook forms the heart of Rio’s journalism program under the leadership of English department head Michael Mahoney.

Colleges take notice of experience on a high school newspaper, and being an editor-in-chief is equivalent on applications to other major leadership roles such as student body president.

With the Mirada expanding its online presence next school year, there are now new opportunities to be a part of things in producing a superior publication – online or in print – during Rio’s fiftieth anniversary year.