Cross Country Team Continues Successful Season

Photo By Beau Schaechterle

Ryan Burns, Sports Editor

The cross country team is off to a great start with high finishes at tough meets and steadily dropping times.
The men’s varsity team has seen recent success in the elite Stanford Invitational – a race chalked-full of scholarship runners and emerging talents from high schools across the nation.
Rio Americano was led by senior George Halvorsen, who finished 38 overall, with a time of 16:57 and a pace of 5:28 minutes per mile. Junior Kenji Anzai finished 43 overall, only 9 seconds behind his fellow Raider.
Perhaps the biggest surprise of the season, though, has been freshman Evan Cross, who has risen to the third spot on the varsity team full of more experienced runners.
Cross finished 79 overall, fifth among all freshmen in the race.
On October 6, he finished second in the frosh/soph race to add onto his list of high finishes.
If the team makes it to sections, subsections, or even the state meet, Cross will play a vital role in the accomplishment, providing depth as a younger runner.
The girls team, led by Macaulay Porter and Lizzie Hutchison, has also seen recent success.
In the most recent league meet, the girls team finished second without Porter. All seven of the Raiders finished in the top half of the league with three in the top ten.
Porter and Hutchison have developed a friendly, inter-squad rivalry in which the two practically trade off wins, separated only by a few seconds each race.
The highlight of the season for both teams definitely came from the weekend the team spent in Disneyland for their Mt. Sac race, another race with thousands of entrants.
“The meet was a great success for the team and a great opportunity to show how far the team has come,” Senior Josh Lowy.
The Running Raiders were able to compare themselves to other top cross country teams from across the state in the huge invitational meet.
The meet was their last big race before qualifying for sections, the first step to take before qualifying for their ultimate goal: state championships.