Jack Scott tournament returns to Rio

Team looking to repeat as CAL champs

Back to Article
Back to Article

Jack Scott tournament returns to Rio

Junior Jonah Roth goes up for a lay up while seniors Matthew Dixon and Cade Johnson look for a put back.

Ed Mahon

Ed Mahon

Ed Mahon

Nick Keller, Sports Editor

The varsity men’s basketball team looks to continue their winning streak after finishing second in the annual Jack Scott tournament with a win-loss record of 2-1.

Boys basketball are led by returning seniors Kyle Astleford, Chris Sheehy, Max Davis and returning Junior Jake Paxton.

Astleford won the all-league award last season, meaning he was one of the most valuable players in the league.

“We want to win league again, so we repeat, and make it to state playoffs again and go farther and hopefully we win a section championship,” said Astleford.

They played well in the tournament, but still feel like they have much to improve on.

“I’m happy with our performance in the tournament,” said Paxton. “It is early in the season and it let us know what we need to improve on for league.”

They are the reigning CAL co-league champions and they believe that they can repeat and go further this year than last year.

“I think that we are probably the most solid team in our league this year, we have a great coach and everyone is getting along and knows their part and what is needed from them in order for us to be successful,” said junior Demetri Dogias.

Although the team is young the team it has some of the best talent that they have had before.

“I think our talent is off the roof this year,” said Paxton. “We have young players and might have one of the best varsity team that I have played on.”

Chemistry is a big thing in team sports and with only seven returning varsity players and two transferred players they have to work hard on getting familiar with everyone’s tendencies and capabilities.

“We already have really good chemistry with each other,” said Paxton. “We all get along and have a great time in practice and are all good friends on and off the court.”

In basketball games the crowd can be an advantage that can determine if you win or lose.

“I think we have one of if not the best student section,” said Dogias. “They know how to fire you up and get inside the head of the other team.”

They just returned from a tournament in Carmel where they had a win-loss record of 2-1 and look forward to their game at Golden 1 Center on Dec. 22 at 8 p.m.