Trump speaks on the transgender community

Kaitlyn Shelloe, Editor-in-Chief

Trump has shown throughout his two years of presidency that he is not a fan of the transgender community. From military banning to now wanting to make it a federal law for a person to be defined by “the genitals you were born with,” it’s almost certain that Trump wants to erase the transgender community.

The Trump administration has declared “sex is either male or female, unchangeable, and determined by the genitals that a person is born with … Any dispute about one’s sex would have to be clarified using genetic testing.”

Under the Obama administration, they acknowledged that gender is by choice and not “assigned” to you at birth, this prompted fights over bathrooms, dormitories, and other areas where it was just place for a “boy or girl.”

The Trump administration is erasing all the progress and the guidance of acknowledging the transgenders the Obama administration provided.

The movement #WontBeErased has started by the people in fear of ‘transgender’ not being part of the gender definition.

The Trump administration repealed the act of the Education and Justice Department that protected transgender students who wanted to use bathrooms that correspond to their gender identity under the Obama administration.

With everything happening with North Korea and the situation with border control why is it so important for Trump to bring this up now and make it federal law?

From the Trump administration’s point of view, it was said that there was confusion among the states and that if we had a set law with something for example only two set bathrooms then people know where to use the restroom.

This “new definition” came at a bad time or it just shouldn’t have been introduced at all. Trump has better things to do with his presidency than to discriminate the 1.4 million transgender Americans.

With Trump’s push for this law to be set, people have reacted negatively to the proposal and have been protesting. The LGBTQ groups have already come out and stated they will be going to court if this is pursued further.

Trump has showed no support for the LGBTQ community as he promised when he was running for president.