Adults should be responsible for actions as a teenager

Rebecca Smith, Editor-in-Chief

One out of three teenage girls is sexually assaulted, harassed or abused. One out of three female adults are scarred from trauma they experience as a teenager.
One of these women is Dr. Christine Blasey Ford. Her alleged abuser, Judge Brett Kavanaugh, was nominated to become a Supreme Court justice and is waiting for his confirmation.
Ford spoke at his hearing Sept. 27, and told her story of the party where Kavanaugh attempted to rape her. She said that although she was scared to speak at the hearing, she felt it was her civic duty. Ford has become a hero to women across the country who have felt silenced by a man in power.
In a time where #MeToo is still strong and Pantsuit Nation is at large, women have been given a voice after decades of stifling their truths. Following the election of a president that has boasted about groping women and belittling them, women united to speak out about their experiences with this and to show support for those who have ever been taken advantage of by a man.
Ford is a symbol of what women supporting women can accomplish, and proof that the time of men dominating government even with questionable pasts has come to an end.
For too long, the excuse that it’s not fair to ruin a man’s life because of something they did as a teenager has been acceptable. What’s truly not fair is that the victims of this assault have to live with the fear and damage these men caused. Their lives have already been ruined; that’s not right.
Writing off a boy’s actions because they were a teenager and didn’t know better, or saying that this is normal behavior and every teenage boy does something like this perpetuates the stigma that boys are too immature and lack any self control or decency towards their female counterparts.
There is a serious danger to prolonging this excuse. We are teaching teenage boys that it’s perfectly okay to abuse and assault girls, and we are teaching teenage girls that they should expect this behavior because it’s their fault boys can’t control themselves.
Men should be held accountable for the actions they commit whether they’re 15 or 35. No longer is it tolerable to push these horrible, disturbing, scarring memories under the rug. Any man, especially one that could potentially join the most powerful court in the nation, needs to face the punishment for the crimes they commit.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Adults should be responsible for actions as a teenager”

1. Audrey Snider on November 13th, 2018 2:49 PM

I think it’s crazy that 1 in 3 teenage girls has been sexually assaulted and I agree that actions are carried on from teenage to adult years.

2. Jordan Anderson on November 24th, 2018 11:31 PM

First off, can you provide any sources for the statistics that you just mentioned? Secondly, I completely agree that people should be held accountable for the things they’ve done at any age, however, I don’t believe that the example you have given is very valid considering a large lack of evidence that the encounter even occurred. The main arguments about this matter are not whether he should be punished for a rape that he committed in his teenage years, rather whether there was such a thing that occurred.

These comments do not reflect the opinions of the Rio Mirada staff and are for discussion purposes

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

*

• Adults should be responsible for actions as a teenager

Opinions

Trump speaks on the transgender community

• Opinions

Pro basketball wage gap

• Opinions

Save the smoke for home

• Opinions

Not wild about the zoo

Opinions

Start sooner on college planning

Opinions

Screen time harms eyes

Opinions

Competition matters more than winning

Opinions

Democracy Under Attack

• Opinions

Sophomore License

• Opinions

Mitchell Dixon Profile