Angeli van Balkom
America’s favorite holiday is coming up; Christmas. I’m from The Netherlands and we do not celebrate Christmas like Americans do.
For me, Christmas is a time I have to visit my grandparents and enjoy a delicious homemade dinner. The desserts were always the best part of the evening and what my grandmother made best is something called “Boterkoek”.
Translated as “buttercake,” it is basically a cake made out of butter.
It is soft and chewy on the inside and crunchy on the outside. I emailed my grandmother and she gave me her famous (in our family) recipe.
For one “boterkoek” you’ll need:
2 cups of flour
1 cup of sugar
8 ounces of butter
a splash of vanilla
a pinch of salt
You also need to use a square baking pan
and an electric mixer.
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Start with the butter, sugar and vanilla. Mix it until it is smooth.
3. Add one egg and the salt. mix this again and then add in the flour, and mix this in.
4. Make the bake pan greasy with butter and put the dough in there. Beat the other egg and cover the dough with it. If you want to, you can make a pattern with a fork in the dough.
5. Put the cake in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown on 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
6. Let the cake cool down for about an hour, cut into pieces and enjoy! If you want to change it up a little, add some slices of apple or grated coconut.