Junior expresses emotions by creating music

Athena Acevedo, Features Editor

To some, music is just a form of entertainment, but to junior Luis Vasquez, it is something that he prides himself in.

Vasquez is a fan of a lot of different types of music, but never imagined himself being in the artist’s position.
“I’ve been writing songs since freshman year but I never really took it seriously,” said Vasquez.

“I just thought it was a fun way to express myself and to sort of let go of bottled up emotions.”

His leading single, “You Got Me,” featuring his friend GLITTER BOY, has not yet been released on iTunes, Spotify, SoundCloud, and YouTube.

“It’s about a failed relationship, and how my ex wouldn’t stop coming back to me even though I told them to knock it off,” said Vasquez. “It has a nice guitar-based trap beat, reminiscent of Justin Timberlake’s ‘Cry Me a River.”
Vasquez has his own style and method of songwriting, which tends to be more spontaneous.

“I write a lot of upbeat sad songs. I tend to just write the first thing that comes to mind and sometimes if I’m bored I’ll write in their styles.”

Vasquez used these influences to create his own personalized album.

“Each song is based on something that happened to me personally, and I have a very important political song on the album,” said Vasquez.

He also has created a full track in Spanish.

Personal friends in the music industry, such as Wrabel and Rob Flo, continue to inspire him as well.
Before ever writing his own songs, he posted covers onto his YouTube channel of different genres of music, including acoustic Troye Sivan and Amy Winehouse.

“YouTube has definitely helped me with my confidence and it has helped me get a little more creative,” said Vasquez. “I wouldn’t necessarily say that it was the most important thing that kickstarted my music career, but it definitely has been there for me and helped me through a lot.”

Ever since he was 14 years old, he has dreamed of creating an album, and now it is almost a reality.

“This album is sort of a therapeutic pop/alternative/rap/r&b/electronic kind of thing,” said Vasquez. “I’ve been working on it with some friends and I can’t wait to put it out there.”

• Features

Skip’s Kitchen Review

• Features

Anna Swanson and Emma Hutchinson Profile

• Junior expresses emotions by creating music

Features

BMX riders flip in style

• Features

Spikeball and Frisbee Club

Features

The Coffee Bar

Features

Ten Things Teens Can’t Live Without

• Features

Gals and Lads prepare for Gala

Features

That Christmas when you got a reality check

Features

What teens really want for Christmas

• Features

Tips to beat stress during the holiday season